Friday, August 12, 2011

Never date anyone who makes you want to throw your phone... Part 1

and  other  such nonsensical  rules....



Now  I  realize  this  may  be  MY  problem.    Perhaps  I  don't  play  well  with  others.    Maybe  I  need  my  own  sandbox,  but  it  doesn't  really  matter  because  if  I'm  dating  someone  and  he  is  irritating  me  to  the  point  that I  want  to  hurl  my  precious  iPhone  across  the  room..well  this  must  be  a  telling  sign.    For  one  of us.   Probably  both.    I  have  a  vast  amount  of  patience  for  well-intentioned  idiots.   Plus,  it's  no  secret  that  I  do  love  my  iPhone.   My  iPhone  is  like  a  highly  paid,  imaginary  friend  of  sorts.   With  apps.   I'm  sure  I  could  find  an  app  that  will  tell  me  I'm  pretty  every  day  in  a  sultry  masculine  voice  and I  would  be  pretty  well  set  for  life,  or  at  least  another  week  or  so. I say imaginary friend because as much as I do enjoy texting, emailing, IM'ing and all those other 'ings,  at  times  I  feel  I as though I could be  chatting  with  just  about  anyone  really,  both  platonic  and  otherwise.  The best  thing  about  such modes  of  communication  is  that  one  can  instantaneously,  and  when  you  think  about  it,  passive  aggressively,  speak  to  anyone  without  the  extra  effort  required  to  actually  pick  up  the  darn  phone and  talk. Weird. You  know,  with  actual  vocal  cords.  Novel  idea  I  know.  Here's  a  shocking  truth:  I  have  a.... wait  for  it.... LAND  LINE  (insert  gasp  here)!   I've  given  this  number  before  when  meeting  a  potential  suitor,  only  to  have  said  suitor  e-mail  me  later,  yes  e-mail, to  let  me  know  my  number  must  not  be  right  because  after  all,  he  tried  to  text  me  (of  course)  and  it  didn't  go  through,  of  course. Thus  starts  the  beginnings  of  what  could  very  well  be  a  text  only  relationship.   Do  you  really  want  to  be  with  someone  who  cannot  go  the  extra  step  and  dial  your  digits  because  he  wants  to  hear  your  beautiful  voice?  And  a  text  only  relationship  is  just  begging  for  all  sorts  of  textual  frustration.  Many  misunderstandings  and  arguments  could  be  avoided  by  simply  having  a  five  minute  phone  conversation.  Text  lacks  eye contact, a  voice... tone, word connotation, connectivity, inflection... misunderstandings occur,  or  too  much  reading  between  the  lines  or  lack  thereof  making  me  want  to  again,  throw  my  phone or perhaps other objects. Perhaps I just need to get with the textual revolution as it is still Friday night... sort of. THIS, however, is a tale for another time. Let's  try putting these non-phone hurling techniques to the test for a day or so. If you find yourself like me, wanting to throw your phone, at least wait next until month when the iPhone 5 comes out.         

No comments:

Post a Comment