Saturday, August 13, 2011

I'm not your therapist....

Or  why  you  shouldn't  date  anyone  who  makes  you  want  to  throw  your  phone  part 2

 
Maybe  it's  a  cultural  or  geographical  thing,  but  I  was  having  a  conversation  with  someone I  didn't  know  well recently  and  he  started  a  sentence  with  "My  therapist  said..."   and a conversation ensued  from there.  A  very  long,  one-sided  conversation. I'm  all  for  therapy  if  you  need  it  however  if  I  am  considering  dating  you,  I  need  not  be  privy  to  the  nitty  gritty  details  of  your  last  ten  sessions  with  said  therapist.    TRANSFERENCE  anyone?    Google  it.    Seriously.    Dude....    Every  other  sentence  should  not  begin  with  the  word  "therapist"  or  "therapy"  or  about  how  that  hour  a  week  is  the  highlight  of  your  week.    I  don't  need  to  know  your  deep  dark  issues.    Truly,  I've  already  been  through and  survived  my  own  divorce  and  I  don't  wish  to  relive  mine  or  endure  yours.    Period.    A  huge,  HUGE  difference  exists  between  the  requisite exchange  of  past  dating  histories and  actually  forcing  another down  your  personal  hell.   Oh  but  there  was  more.    He  was  apparently  still  lamenting  the  end  of  a  relationship  with  his  recent  girlfriend,  and his  divorce wasn't  finalized  yet.   Yet  part  of  me  having  survived  a  painful  divorce  feels  for  anyone  hurting,  so  my  inner  therapist  patiently  listened.  I  really  tried.... Until  I  had  that  overwhelming  urge  to  throw  the  phone...  or  beat  myself  about  the  head  with  the  phone. (I'm  now  putting  that  inner  empathetic,  sympathetic  therapist  in  time-out  before  I  end  up  in  therapy.)  Instead  I  simply  asked  if  he  truly  felt  he  was  ready  to  be  in  a  relationship.  Answer:   "My  therapist  says...."    Seriously?  I  learned  long  ago  that  even  when  you  think  you're  ready  to  date  after  divorce,  you're  not.  You  must  heal,  learn  to  be  alone,  to  be  still.  Rebound  people  are  labeled  as  such  for  a  reason.  Such  a  huge  difference  exists  between  need  and  want.   Lonely  and  alone.  I  could  only  imagine  the  static  cling  involved,  not  to  mention  the  headaches and  replacement  phones  needed  from  pursuing  a  relationship  with  such  a  person.   So,  as  an  addendum  to  the  previous  rule  beyond  don't  date  anyone  that  makes  you  want  to  throw your  phone;   don't  date  anyone  who  thinks  you  are  his substitute therapist  and/or mother AND makes  you  want  to  throw  your  phone.  Ouch  my  head  hurts  just  thinking  about  it....  Can we say NEUROTIC?   



Check  out  the  YouTube  video  above  featuring  art  by  Mark  Ryden,  one  of  my  all-time  favorite  co-dependent  anthems. Greatness.  We  are  learning  so  much  about  psychology  today...  xx




No comments:

Post a Comment